Rainy Day Games and Activities for Your Pet
Rain or shine, your pet needs exercise and interaction every day to keep them at their healthiest and happiest. As we look ahead to the coming winter months, it’s likely that some days may not lend themselves to outdoor play. This can be especially disconcerting for the dog who loves to go on walks to the park.
Since we can anticipate wet, cold, and snowy days ahead, it’s important to have a few indoor activities for your pet in mind. The Pet Experts at Elmhurst Animal Care Center have a few ideas to help you enjoy those rainy days with your pet (and the whole family!).
6 Rainy Day Games for Dogs
Most dogs are used to going outside for their daily exercise and much needed socialization. Unfortunately, Old Man Winter doesn’t always cooperate. When inclement weather strikes, what can you do to keep your energetic canine busy? Check out these interactive games that are a total game-changer for indoor fun.
- Hide-and-seek – This game is a low cost favorite (for kids too). Find a few treats or toys and place them in challenging hiding spots around the home. You can start out with more obvious places and increase the level of difficulty over time. Or, you can buy a toy that has hide-and-seek in mind, like this Hide a Squirrel toy.
- Brain games – While your dog may not qualify for Mensa, all pets require mental stimulation and enrichment. Check out DogIt Mind Games and Dog Finder for your canine Einstein.
- Trick training – If your dog is ready to be a star pupil and has already mastered basic obedience, you may want to introduce them to trick training. This is a great opportunity for you to bond with your pet while teaching a wide variety of tricks like “roll over” and “shake.”
- Indoor agility course – For high energy breeds, a DIY agility course set up in a basement or rec room is the perfect choice for some serious playtime. If you don’t want to make your own, there are a number of sets you can purchase online.
- Fetch – This old standby can easily be indoor accommodating with the purchase of a soft toy, like a Nerf ball.
- Doggie play date – All dogs need a bit of socialization with their peers. On days when it’s too cold or rainy to go outside, why not invite over some of your fellow dog owners? Your dog can enjoy their pals and you can enjoy yours (and treats are a must for all!).
Don’t Forget the Felines!
Most cats are indoor-only or are outside intermittently, which is why cats need a lot of attention to their indoor activity needs. Here are some indoor activities aimed at getting your cat moving!
- Cat tree
- Window perch
- Automated feather chase
- Cat Fishing interactive app
- A variety of catnip toys and treats
Being stuck indoors may also be a great time to train your cat to walk on a leash so when spring arrives, they’ll be ready to strut their stuff.
Indoor Activities for Your Pet
Keeping your pet busy during rainy days or inclement weather is easy with some of our tips for indoor playtime. We’re happy to suggest additional ways to keep your pet fit and healthy. Just give us a call!
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
SOLD OUT! Yoga: Cats and Mats (Evening Edition)
Join us Wednesday, February 21st from 7:00PM - 8:30PM for the evening edition of Yoga: Cats & Mats! Partnering with our friends at Magnificent Mutts & Meows Rescue, this beginners level class will have cats and kittens wandering the room, all of which will be available for adoption! This class will be taught in candlelight (pet safe for our furry friends) and complimentary wine will also be served after the class. Tickets are SOLD OUT! Please stay tuned for future Cat Yoga Events!
Spring Adoption Event!
Join us and Magnificent Mutts & Meows Rescue for our Easter/Spring Adoption Event on Saturday, March 24 from 10AM - 2PM! There will be pets available for adoption as well as $5 photos with the Easter Bunny! Enjoy light food, refreshments, shop vendors and more! All proceeds benefit Magnificent Mutts & Meows Rescue.
Book Your Pet's Dental Cleaning Today & Save!
Book Today! Call us at 630-530-1900 to book your pet's dental appointment!
Offer valid February 1 - February 28, 2018.