Hold your hounds! Leash etiquette for your pooch.
We have all experienced it: You are minding your own business, walking your dog quietly when a friendly, over-excited (or not-so-friendly, borderline aggressive) dog pulling an owner at the end of a leash comes barreling into your personal space.
Worst case scenario, your dog is not so thrilled at the sight of the other dog, or the other dog is not as thrilled as its owner perceives and chaos ensues. Best case scenario, one or both dogs, although friendly, develop bad habits regarding interactions with other humans and dogs. Keep the following cardinal rules of leash etiquette in mind when taking your dog in public:
- Not all dogs are friendly. Even if your dog is, be sure to give other pets plenty of “personal” space unless you ask the owner’s permission to approach.
- Not all people like all dogs. Another dog walker may be terrified of your dog. Don’t allow your pet to jump on or rush at others.
- Consider ditching the flexi-lead. While it’s convenient to let your dog roam, it is impossible to maintain control of your pet while on a flexi-lead. They are also much less sturdy and more likely to break in times of need.
- If you do use a flexi-lead, keep it locked at 6 feet when other people or dogs are around.
- Train your pup! Exuberant, friendly dogs and cautious, fearful dogs alike benefit from training sessions.
Contact us if you’d like some recommendations for local trainers.
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
Keep Your Pet Healthy All Year Round!
We offer plans for puppies, kittens, adult dogs & cats. With affordable monthly payments and our convenient hours, it's the best value in helping your pet live a longer & healthier life! Call us at 630.530.1900 for details!
Meet Our Adoptable Animals!
We are currently fostering some great pets available for adoption! Visit our Featured Foster page HERE to view all animals available for adoption and make an appointment to meet them at our clinic by calling us at 630.530.1900!