Keep your furry friend’s tail wagging with homemade treats!
It’s no secret – dogs and cats love treats! Many of the popular treats that you buy at the store are very high in fat and calories and low in nutrition though. So what’s a great way to treat your fur-baby while still being sure that the treats their eating are as nutritious as they are delicious? Make them yourself!
Making your own pet treats is fun and easy, and you can feel good about giving them to your pet. (Although you should still feed them sparingly — treats are a sometimes food, not an always food). Here are some simple recipes for pet treats that will keep your furry friend’s tail wagging.
Peanut Butter Molasses Dog Treats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 cup peanut butter (unsalted & sugar-free)
- 1 tbsp. blackstrap molasses
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk the flour, oats, and baking powder together in a medium bowl
- Gradually stir in the milk, peanut butter, and molasses
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until a soft dough forms
- Roll out to 1/2″ thickness and cut with a cookie cutter
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Cool completely before feeding to your pooch.
These biscuits bake up nice and hard and will last for 2 weeks in a dog treat jar and up to 4-5 weeks in the refrigerator.
Yummy Tuna Treats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk
- 1/2 can tuna fish
- 1 tsp vegetable oil or cod liver oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheet
- In a large bowl mash the tuna into smaller pieces
- Add flour and milk to the tuna and mix well
- Add water and oil and mix some more
- Beat the egg in a separate dish until the egg is foamy and then add to the mix
- Mix everything well — the dough will be really sticky
- Using your fingers shape the dough into small balls, about the size of a marble and put them on the cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Let treats cool completely before feeding to your cat
- Store treats in an air tight container in the refrigerator
If you have any questions about your pet’s nutrition, feel free to contact us. We’ll be happy to discuss it with you.
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
Keep Your Pet Healthy All Year Round!
We offer plans for puppies, kittens, adult dogs & cats. With affordable monthly payments and our convenient hours, it's the best value in helping your pet live a longer & healthier life! Call us at 630.530.1900 for details!
Meet Our Adoptable Animals!
We are currently fostering some great pets available for adoption! Visit our Featured Foster page HERE to view all animals available for adoption and make an appointment to meet them at our clinic by calling us at 630.530.1900!