All the Feels: The Unlimited Joy of Fostering a Pet
Do you remember the day you brought your pet home? Along with all the excitement and laughter that comes with getting a new pet, there’s nothing quite like the feeling that comes with knowing you’re helping an animal in need.
Fostering a pet brings that same sense of reward and happiness. Beyond adoption (although that’s certainly amazing), shelters and rescues are in desperate need of volunteers for everything from cleaning kennels to taking care of their fosters. If you’re looking to step up your volunteer efforts, fostering a pet may be just the thing for you.
Fostering a Pet
As one can imagine, animal shelters are often at capacity and don’t have the resources to take in every animal in need. Fostering is a way to help those pets while minimizing the stress of staying in a crowded shelter.
So, how do you get connected with a foster program? We suggest contacting your local shelter or humane society, as well as independent rescue organizations. Some of the questions you can expect to be asked include:
- What type/breed of animal are you willing to foster?
- How many can you accommodate?
- Are you willing to foster kittens/puppies or other young animals?
- Are you willing to foster pets with medical issues?
- What’s your home and yard like? Is it accommodating and pet-proof?
- Do you have other animals? What’s their breed and age?
- Do you have young children?
- How much time and attention can you give a foster pet?
- Why do you want to foster?
Each rescue will have its own set of guidelines, so it’s important to do some research to determine the right fit for you and your new foster. We promise, your help will not go unappreciated! Fosters and other volunteers are the lifeblood of animal rescues everywhere.
- Fostering helps save lives by freeing up space in a shelter for another deserving pet.
- You can diminish a pet’s stress and exposure to disease by bringing them into your home.
- Fostering a rescue allows them to become better socialized, which can greatly increase their likelihood of being adopted.
- You can provide the shelter with more information about the pet’s disposition, which is helpful when they’re trying to find them a forever home.
- You get the chance to help a deserving animal – plus benefit from all the snuggles!
Local Rescues Just for You!
Elmhurst Animal Care Center and our partner clinics are proud to support the following local rescues:
Please be sure to inquire with one of these awesome organizations for more information about fostering a pet. You can always check out our site for an updated list of additional trusted rescue partners.
No Online Appointments
We are not accepting online appointments at this time