Baby, It’s Cold Outside!
Old Man Winter may be in town, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy the Great Outdoors with the family pet. If you are going to be spending time outside, however, there are some special precautions that must be taken in order to ensure everyone has a great time! Take the following into account when spending time in the elements this winter:
- Be sure that your pet has access to water. Just because it is cold out doesn’t mean hydration is not necessary. Don’t forget that many water sources freeze in the winter.
- Pay attention to the paws! Your pet’s paws may become sore or even cut when walking on frozen ground and ice. You might consider investing in some protective doggy boots if trekking for long periods in these conditions.
- Many ice-melting products are not pet-friendly! Use a pet-approved product for your own property and be sure to clean any potential contamination from your pet’s fur and paws upon your return home.
- Steer clear of antifreeze. Even a tiny amount of this sweet substance can be lethal.
- Be extra careful around frozen lakes and ponds. If your pet should fall in accidently, it may not be able to get out. Hypothermia is also a concern.
- Use extra care in icy areas for both you and your pet.
- If your pet begins to shake or shiver, it is time to end your outing. Just because your pet is wearing a fur coat doesn’t mean it can’t get cold. Just like you, the more active your dog is, the warmer it will stay. Your pet may benefit from wearing doggy booties or a coat.
- Try to target your outdoor activities for the warmest part of the day. There is a big difference between going for an hour long walk at noon and walking in the evening after the sun has gone down!
Don’t keep your pup all cooped up until Spring! By getting out, you will enjoy the season and keep you and your pet healthy and fit. Just be aware of weather-related dangers so that you can head outdoors worry-free.
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
Keep Your Pet Healthy All Year Round!
We offer plans for puppies, kittens, adult dogs & cats. With affordable monthly payments and our convenient hours, it's the best value in helping your pet live a longer & healthier life! Call us at 630.530.1900 for details!
Meet Our Adoptable Animals!
We are currently fostering some great pets available for adoption! Visit our Featured Foster page HERE to view all animals available for adoption and make an appointment to meet them at our clinic by calling us at 630.530.1900!