Children and Pets: A Powerful Partnership
Both children and animals have a way of bringing people together and making our hearts melt. The Pet Experts at Elmhurst Animal Care Center know that when these forces unite, it can be quite powerful! We love to share in and celebrate the incredible teams made between children and pets.
Children and Pets: Mutual Benefits
Of course as an animal lover you probably know that spending time with your pet makes you feel great, but did you know that there is real and scientific evidence that pets have positive effect on us all? In fact, HABRI (the Human Animal Bond Research Institute) keeps a database of all the research being produced about the positive effects of animals on people. It is amazing to look at.
Contact with animals and pet therapy has been shown to:
- Lower blood pressure and improve heart health
- Decrease anxiety
- Create a sense of well-being
- Result in decreased stress
- Decrease depression
- Improve conditions for children with conditions such as Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Support cognitive development
- Improve classroom learning and reading
- Foster healthy emotional development
Pets can create such a great foundation for the growth and development of children from all walks.
When pets and people team together, there is no stopping them. Not only can animals help us tremendously, but we can help them as well.
Children can learn the magic of unconditional love as well as social tools while working with pets who need their help. Caring for an animal who needs a loving human or who has special needs can be beneficial on both ends.
Kids can become involved with animals in need through:
- Volunteering at a humane society or rescue
- Collecting wish list donations for local shelters such as blankets and pet food
- Looking for learning opportunities such as camps at local humane societies
- Fostering pets in need (with adult supervision of course)
It is amazing to see how much each has to gain from one another. It is especially inspiring to see pets with special needs teaching our young generation about perseverance, acceptance, and strength.
The staff at Elmhurst Animal Care Center loves to be a part of facilitating the formation of the bond between pets and children. We strive to help young people and animals unite whenever possible.
Please let us know if you have a classroom, a scout troop, or just a special little person in your life who would like to visit us and build the human animal bond. We enjoy these opportunities and are more than happy to help grow the next generation of animal lovers.