Hello In There! What’s in Your Pet’s Ears?
Ears are integral to your pet’s life and well-being. A dog’s ears are keen and attuned to noises we can never hear. In fact, a dog’s hearing is three times better than our own. But keeping that essential sense requires maintenance and veterinary examination. Although you may not consider the cleanliness of your pet’s ears, cleaning them is a must for good grooming and health.
The Pet Experts at Elmhurst Animal Care Center are here to help you take a closer look at what’s in your pet’s ears and why cleaning them should be a part of regular pet care.
Cleaning your pet’s ears can prevent infection and help identify parasites like mites, ticks, and fleas. The method of cleaning, however, is one that requires practice and the proper way of ear cleaning.
Ear Cleaning Gear:
- Ear cleaner for pets
- Small bowl
- Cotton balls or pads
- Trash bin
- Small bowl
- Flash light
- Make sure your pet is seated in front of you.
- Massage the ears while giving your pet a small treat.
- Begin rubbing the base of the ear.
- Inspect your pet’s ear by lifting the ear flap.
- Get your flashlight and look inside the ear, looking for redness, crusting, buildup, etc.
- Squirt a small amount of cleanser into the ear.
- Press the base of the ear, massaging around the ear canal.
- Let your dog shake their head and use the towel to clean up the cleanser.
- Use your cotton balls and clean the discharge.
- Take your cotton pad and clean around the ear flap, ear canal, and use the swab to clean just inside the canal. (Do not force your fingers into the canal as this can cause injury.)
- Clean up any leftover discharge and solution.
Make sure to look for excess wax. Are there any signs of cuts? Parasites? Infection? Odor? If so, follow up with your veterinarian.
Once you are done, reward your pet!
Cleaning Your Pet’s Ears Is a Regular Part of Pet Grooming
Now that you are comfortable with cleaning your pet’s ears, make it a normal part of your pet’s grooming needs. Along with cleaning their ears, they need brushing, shampooing, and occasional nail trimming to keep them at their best.
During your pet’s annual wellness exam, we examine those cute ears and look for other health issues that may not be visible during a regular cleaning. We are happy to talk to you about the right cleaner and other products to keep the ears clean and healthy.
Please contact us for more information on your pet’s ear health, or to schedule an appointment. We look forward to seeing you and your furry one.
No Online Appointments
We are not accepting online appointments at this time