It’s Not a Stretch to Practice Pet Yoga at Home
While it’s incredibly satisfying to practice yoga in a studio among other yogis, it’s equally lovely to settle into some deep stretches in the comfort of your own home. Indeed, diving into your own blend of asanas – at your own pace – can yield great results (without having to get yourself home afterwards).
Likewise, there are terrific opportunities out there to practice yoga with animals (whether they’re yours or not!). If you’re looking for a laid back and simple experience, try pet yoga at home with some of The Pet Experts’ favorite poses.
Inspired by Animals
Even if you’re new to yoga, you can’t miss the asanas inspired by the animals they’re named after. Downward-facing and upward-facing dog are arguably the most recognizable poses (and ones we see our pets do on a daily basis!). The following are also integral to a meaningful pet-centric practice:
One Step Further
If you and your pet are no strangers to yoga, it might be fun to try out these poses together:
- Plank – You’re supported by your own arm and leg strength while your pet hops on your back.
- Upward bow – A little backbend once in awhile does wonders for the body, but it’s especially wonderful when your pet lays underneath your raised backside.
- Crow – This pose is incredible for arm balance, and you’ll be extra focused when your pet decides to rub up against you or pants in your face while in this asana.
- Crocodile – We love this asana (it’s like cobra…but easier!) because it benefits an achy back while giving your cat or dog a place to chill. Win-win!
- Triangle – The impact of this asana cannot be overstated. If you hold your pet while sinking deeper with every breath, you’re really going to come out relaxed (not to mention buff)!
- Wheel – Instead of having your pet under you while suspended, how about inviting them to hang out on your belly while you tackle this challenging pose? Just be careful when lowering your back to the floor. Your pet might not be so keen for the ride to be over!
Don’t Force Pet Yoga at Home
When practicing pet yoga at home, try not to have super high expectations. Some pets get really into it and mimic your every move. Some simply tolerate being picked up while you move in and out of asanas. Others just take a nap in the most inconvenient place. Whatever the case, we hope you embrace the opportunity to create meaningful moments with your best fur friend.
Check out our last puppy yoga event. It was a huge success!
As always, The Pet Experts are here if you have any questions or concerns about your pet’s exercise, health, and general well being.
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
The 4th Annual Mystic Market!
Join us at the 4th Annual Mystic Market: A Mystical and Magical Fundraiser with Powerful Featured Readers and Amazing Handcrafted Items for Sale! The event takes place Saturday, October 20th from 11AM - 4:30PM. Meet featured celebrity psychic reader, Theo Kostaridis! The event will host a bake sale with delicous homemade treats as well as Fall Pet Photos for $10 from 11AM - 3PM. Dress your pet in costume for the Pet Costume Contest at 12:30PM! Proceeds from the event benefit Magnificent Mutts & Meows Rescue & Sacred Space Animal Sanctuary and Rescue.
Pet CPR & First Aid Certification Class!
Join us on Sunday, October 7th from 9AM - 12PM at our clinic for a Pet CPR & First Aid Certification Class! This class is ideal for anyone who loves animals including: animal professionals, pet sitters, animal shelter staff/volunteers, rescue personnel, First Responders, Fire/EMT and pet owners alike! Taught by trained professionals, it provides each participant an overview of what to do in an emergency situation with their pet prior to getting veterinary care. For more information or to register, click HERE. Check out the Facebook Event HERE. A portion of each registration benefits our rescue partners at St. Sophia's Forgotten Felines.
Save the Date! Join Us at the Magnificent Mutts & Meows Run4Paws 5K!
Join us and rescue partners Magnificent Mutts & Meows Rescue for their 4th annual Run4Paws 5K & 2K Puppy Path! The event takes place Saturday, October 6th at McCollum Park (6801 Main St.) in Downers Grove with the race starting promptly at 9AM. The best part: attendees are welcome to race with their dog! Medals are awarded for males and females in each age category.
For additional information and to register, please click HERE.