Hand in Paw: What to Know About Including Pets in Weddings
A wedding ceremony is generally considered one of the most important milestones in a person’s life. Today, more and more people are choosing to celebrate this special day not only with family and close friends, but also with their beloved pets.
Fortunately, with the increased acceptance of well-behaved pets in public places, there are plenty of ways to include your pet in life’s special moments.
The Pet Experts at Elmhurst Animal Care Center can’t get enough of pets in weddings! We’ve outlined a few strategies to help make your special day a success for you and your four-legged friend.
First Things First
Before you start shopping for the perfect Chihuahua-sized tuxedo, it’s important to do an honest assessment of your pet‘s personality and temperament. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Is your pet comfortable around strange people or crowds?
- Is your pet aggressive or excessively anxious?
- Are any of your guests allergic to pets?
- Is your pet able to follow basic commands?
- Is your venue of choice pet-friendly?
- Have you informed your officiant and vendors of your desire to include your pet?
When Fido Just Can’t Go
Even if you decide that the best place for your pet on the big day is at home, there are plenty of ways you can make his or her presence felt. Consider the following ideas for honoring your best pal before, during, and after your wedding:
- Include your pet’s picture in your engagement photos, save the date card, or on your wedding invitation
- Hang one or more beautiful, framed photos of your pet at the reception
- Carry a photo of the animal of honor in your bouquet or in a locket
- Serve a custom cocktail named after your pet
- Include an image of your pet at each table, or incorporate it into your wedding favors
Pets in Weddings: It’s All About Planning
Having your pet at your wedding is certainly a meaningful way to mark this important milestone, but you should be focusing on enjoying the day, not worrying about whether Spot is helping himself to the chicken wings. To relieve you of the worry about your pet’s safety and comfort, consider asking a trusted friend or family member to serve as your pet’s handler.
The handler should be responsible for:
- Exercising your pet ahead of time
- Attending to potty breaks (and cleanup)
- Making sure Spot stays away from alcohol and any other potential pet toxins.
Be sure to pack all the supplies your pet may need throughout the day, including food, treats, toys, and bedding.
Your friends at Elmhurst Animal Care Center hope you will share your ideas for (and pictures of) your pet in your wedding! We look forward to hearing from you and, as always, don’t hesitate to give us a call with any questions or concerns you may have.
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
Keep Your Pet Healthy All Year Round!
We offer plans for puppies, kittens, adult dogs & cats. With affordable monthly payments and our convenient hours, it's the best value in helping your pet live a longer & healthier life! Call us at 630.530.1900 for details!
Meet Our Adoptable Animals!
We are currently fostering some great pets available for adoption! Visit our Featured Foster page HERE to view all animals available for adoption and make an appointment to meet them at our clinic by calling us at 630.530.1900!