Posts Tagged: Bringing home a new puppy
Introducing a new puppy to your home can be an exciting and challenging time. Remember, they are cute for a reason! Puppies are babies, and they require extra care. Use the following tips to make your new family member’s transition into your home as smooth as possible.
- Make sure you have done your research! Know about the breed you are bringing home and learn a little about puppy training and socialization before your little one comes home.
- Prepare any children in the house for taking care of a puppy. They should know on an age-appropriate level about basic care and how to handle the new dog. There are many resources geared towards children to help you teach them about their new pet.
- Pick a potty place! You are going to be spending a lot of time here over the next few months. This should be the first place your pup visits when he or she gets home.
- Come and see us! A new puppy should be examined within 24-48 hours of coming home so that potential health problems can be addressed and any questions regarding care and training can be answered. And don’t forget that we offer this first exam, an intestinal parasite evaluation, and your puppy’s first shot all for free!
- Puppies need to be kept safe and relatively contained. Purchase a crate, baby gates, or any other items needed to help you keep close tabs on your pup.
- Puppy-proof the house. Objects that you don’t want to be chewed like plants, electrical cords, and other doggy dangers should be secured. Get down on your hands and knees and think like a curious pooch!
- Buy the basics. Your pet should have a few toys that are suitable to chew on, a leash, collar, and identification tag, and bowls. Have a week or two of the food it has been eating so that you can transition over to any new diet over the course of 7-14 days.
- Prepare existing pets. Be sure that they are healthy and up to date on any medical needs. Cats in particular may appreciate a “puppy-free” zone where they can seek shelter.
Congratulations on your new pet! By laying the foundation for a good start, you are helping to ensure a long and healthy life! Check out the pet care handouts on our website for some more puppy tips and tricks. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call us.
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
Keep Your Pet Healthy All Year Round!
We offer plans for puppies, kittens, adult dogs & cats. With affordable monthly payments and our convenient hours, it's the best value in helping your pet live a longer & healthier life! Call us at 630.530.1900 for details!
Meet Our Adoptable Animals!
We are currently fostering some great pets available for adoption! Visit our Featured Foster page HERE to view all animals available for adoption and make an appointment to meet them at our clinic by calling us at 630.530.1900!