Posts Tagged: chocolate
We don’t often think about common Valentine’s gifts being dangerous for pets, but many items can make pets sick or worse. Use caution when celebrating this year and ensure a happy Valentine’s Day for everyone in your household by following these Valentine’s Day safety tips for your pets…. Continue…
Happy holiday season to all of our friends, furry and otherwise! We hope that this is a happy, healthy time of year for you all. While we love to see all of you, we don’t want your pet to visit us unexpectedly during the holidays, so we are providing you with a list of the top five holiday foods that will land your pet in the hospital.
Top Five Holiday Foods That Can Land Your Pet in the Hospital
It’s the main ingredient in many seasonal treats, and your pets may want to indulge as much as you do. It is best, however, for our four-legged friends to avoid chocolate in all of its forms. The offending ingredient is theobromine which is found in the highest concentrations in baking and dark chocolate. Toxicity is dose dependent, which means that the smaller your critter, the less theobromine it will take to cause problems. At lower doses, pets will experience jitteriness and vomiting/diarrhea. At higher doses, much more serious effects can occur including increased or irregular heart rate, seizures, or even death.
Before you throw a piece of Aunt Louise’s fruitcake to Fido, think twice. Raisins and grapes can cause irreversible kidney damage in pets. Some animals seem to be more sensitive than others, and there is no way to know how sensitive yours is until it is too late.
Most people would never intentionally give their pet alcohol, however that glass of eggnog on the end table may prove to be too tempting for Rover to avoid. Alcohol ingestion can lead to low heart rate, hypoglycemia, seizures, even respiratory failure. Also beware of desserts containing alcohol and raw yeast-containing dough that can produce alcohol as it ferments.
- Artificial sweeteners
If you have candies or sweets around that contain the artificial sweetener xylitol, know that even small amounts can cause a life-threatening decrease in blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.
- Table scraps
Ingestion of people food, particularly fatty, rich foods can lead to mild to severe digestive upset, sometimes requiring hospitalization. Some animals may even experience pancreatitis, a sometimes serious inflammation of the pancreas.
Enjoy the holiday with your pets. Just be sure that the only holiday treats they get are pet safe!