Posts Tagged: kitten care
Fortunately for cat owners, most kittens have a natural predilection for using a litter box to eliminate. As with most things in life, however, there are exceptions. If you have a stubborn kitten, you may have to backpedal and be sure your feline friend knows what you want it to do. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Be sure the litter box is the right size for your kitten! Young kittens may have a hard time climbing over the side of a full-size box. You might consider using a cake pan or something similar until he/she gets the hang of it.
- Make sure the litter boxes are accessible. Long distances or stairs might be difficult for a little kitty to get there in time. Make sure there is a box on every floor and in the areas where your kitten spends the most time.
- Show them the way. Make a point to periodically place your kitten in the litter box, especially after meals. Encourage them to dig.
- Play with the litter. Some cats prefer a certain type of litter. Try clumping vs. nonclumping, scented or non-scented, or alternative types such as recycled newspaper or pine.
- Make sure the box isn’t too scary. Many times we inadvertently put litter boxes in out-of-the-way areas where scary monsters lurk. Noisy washing machines, refrigerators, furnaces, nosy dogs, and loud children can all be deterrents for your kitten.
By following these tips, your new kitty should be well on its way to being a litter box pro in no time at all!