Posts Tagged: summer hazards
We want to make sure you keep your pets safe during these hot, hot months. Please watch out for the following summer hazards:
- Heat stroke: It may be the most obvious hazard, but don’t forget that pets can overheat and even die from high temperatures. Never leave an animal in a car, even for a short period. Make sure your pet always has access to shade and fresh water.
- The sun: It may sound like a good idea to shave down your golden retriever, but your pet’s coat provides insulation from the heat and limits sun exposure which can result in sunburn.
- Heartworms: Mosquitoes transmit heartworms, which are just what they sound like- worms that grow in the heart. Not a good thing. Keep your pet on heartworm prevention as recommended by your vet.
- Fleas: These nasty little buggers are at their peak during the warm months of the year. Preventatives prescribed by your vet are very effective at keeping fleas at bay.
- Parties: Fido may want to crash the neighborhood block party, but be sure you limit his consumption of extra treats that may make him sick. Alcohol is also a big danger as well as garbage cans full of tasty treats like leftover bones.
Summer can be a fun time for your pet, but there are many dangers as well. Keeping yourself informed and aware of potential risks can help to make sure your summer is a breeze.