The Anatomy of Your Pet’s Dental Cleaning
Dental care is an important part of proper care for your dog or cat. Having your veterinarian do a quick inspection during your pet’s routine wellness exams is good. Providing home dental care as instructed by your veterinarian is important, but your furry friends need periodic dental cleanings to keep their mouths healthy. In fact, by the ripe old age of three, most pets have some dental disease.
What happens during a professional dental procedure for your pet?
- Anesthesia. There are no bones about it; a proper, thorough cleaning cannot take place without general anesthesia. This allows the veterinarian to thoroughly examine your pet’s mouth, take dental x-rays if indicated, and perform an in-depth cleaning. Your pet’s history and current physical condition will be taken into account when developing an anesthetic plan, allowing for the safest anesthetic experience possible.
- Examination. Once your dog or cat is safely anesthetized, a detailed examination of his or her mouth takes place. Any problems are documented and a plan is formulated to address them.
- Ultrasonic and hand scaling. The dental plaque and tartar that cause periodontal disease is removed from all sides of the tooth and under the gum line.
- Polishing. To keep your pet’s whites pearly, the teeth are polished after scaling in order to smooth the tooth’s surface, slowing the deposition of further plaque and tartar.
- Problem solving. Your pet may have teeth that need to be extracted or need other procedures in order to address any issues that are identified. Your veterinarian will identify any issues and explain your options.
- Putting together a game plan. Your veterinarian will determine a plan for resolving any immediate issues and for better maintaining your pet’s dental health down the road.
All pets need routine, professional dental cleanings. Make it a priority this year to provide your special dog or cat with this basic care. Speak with your veterinarian about when your pet should have a dental cleaning and what you should be doing at home to enhance his or her dental health.
Take advantage of our February 20% discount on dental cleanings in celebration of National Pet Dental Health Month. Phone now to book an appointment while this is on your mind. (630) 530-1900.
We accept walk-ins during our Doctor's Hours to meet your busy lifestyle. If you’d prefer to make an appointment, we offer those too!
News & Events
New Dog or Puppy? Time For Training!
Training is an important part of any dog's life! From providing mental stimulation to exercise and proper socialization, training will help in the development of a great canine companion! We are now enrolling for Basic Obedience Classes! Give us a call at 630.530.1900 to register your pet or email: firstname.lastname@example.org with any specific questions you may have! The cost of the 6-week class is $120.
The 4th Annual Mystic Market!
Join us at the 4th Annual Mystic Market: A Mystical and Magical Fundraiser with Powerful Featured Readers and Amazing Handcrafted Items for Sale! The event takes place Saturday, October 20th from 11AM - 4:30PM. Meet featured celebrity psychic reader, Theo Kostaridis! The event will host a bake sale with delicous homemade treats as well as Fall Pet Photos for $10 from 11AM - 3PM. Dress your pet in costume for the Pet Costume Contest at 12:30PM! Proceeds from the event benefit Magnificent Mutts & Meows Rescue & Sacred Space Animal Sanctuary and Rescue.
Keep Your Pet Healthy All Year Round!
We offer plans for puppies, kittens, adult dogs & cats. With affordable monthly payments and our convenient hours, it's the best value in helping your pet live a longer & healthier life! Call us at 630.530.1900 for details!